Seven Mile Avenue

Seven Mile Avenue - Rob Hamilton Having enjoyed The Whitechapel Murder Mystery (and given it 5*), I looked forward to the sequel.Alas, this isn't anywhere as good. I didn't feel emotionally involved, the plot didn't grab me, the plausibility was thin, and the outcome was predictable.Rob Hamilton's writing is almost 'formulaic' (that's a harsh word, but it's the nearest I can find to describe what I mean). A group of men investigate a mystery, find that it's a plot to bring down the government, and save the day. In the process, one third of the good guys die.A story with this formula could still be exciting. But in this case, even the nuances were painfully obvious. For example, in the previous book (The Whitechapel Murder Mystery) of the series, the author provided an appendix with the life histories of the main characters. Thus the reader knows that they're going to live to an old age. Therefore, they won't die in this book. Therefore, it's the other guys who are dying. So there's never any tension about who will live and who will die. It's clear that the three from the previous book will save the governments and live, while the others are going to die heroic deaths. Yawn.In typical Rob Hamilton fashion, the characters nod their heads and shrug their shoulders all the time. I found myself wishing they would nod and shrug different body parts for a change.Also annoying: The book is riddled with embarrassing grammatical errors. Many readers probably wont' mind, and some won't even notice. But for me, this spoiled the reading pleasure.The author has serious problems with certain words, and is apparently unable to tell the difference between 'lying' and 'laying', or when to use 'I' and when 'me'. This leads to frequent blunders like >causing both Richard and I to jump< and >He's laying under that treecourt-marshalled.